There are different things that you need to know about your new motorcycle. You want to know how fast it can go when you are on a highway but of course, you still need to follow the rules in the area so that you will not have any issues.
You may want to know what are the things that your motorcycle can do that other motorcycles cannot do. You want to feel proud of your motorcycle. You would like to be truly happy with your choice. This is normal because of course, who would want to feel buyer’s remorse? One of the things that can truly make you happy is if the battery life of your motorcycle’s battery will last for a good, long while.
In order to know more details about your motorcycle’s battery life, you have to remember the following:
- Batteries made by different brands are all made differently.
- The quality of the batteries can be evident through the length of time that they can be used without being replaced.
- You may be able to control how long batteries will last depending on how you would use your motorcycle.
You have to know by now that the battery of a motorcycle can last for about 12 – 24 months. At this point in time, you may be surprised because you know that other motorcycle users need to replace their batteries within the year that they have purchased their brand new motorcycles. It is sad that only 1/4 of the batteries that are sold with motorcycle models are able to reach up to 4 years. What does this show? It shows that a lot of people do not know how they can take care of their motorcycle’s batteries.
There are different reasons why the batteries of motorcycles do not last as long as they should. Some of the reasons are the following:
- The batteries are stored without being charged beforehand. There is a bigger chance that batteries are going to lose energy faster if they would not be charged before being stored.
- Deep cycling battery can make its life shorter than usual because motorcycle batteries cannot stand this type of method.
- The battery plates are exposed to air. If you do not know a lot about your motorcycle and the battery plates, you may expose it unknowingly which can of course lessen the battery’s life.
- Incorrect battery charging. You may think that you have saved up a lot of money purchasing the cheap motorcycle battery charger that you have purchased recently instead of buying what you should but in the long run, you will spend more because you need to buy a new battery to replace your old one immediately.
- Exposing your batteries to temperatures that are too hot or too cold will also shorten its life.
Now that you are given reasons why your battery may not last as long as you want it to, let us focus on how you can make your battery life longer. The first thing that you need to do is to determine what type of battery you are using. There are some liquid acid batteries that may seem like they have already died when in fact, you only need to replace the water of the battery. This may be more convenient and economical in the long run. Just make sure to use only distilled water for refilling the water in the batteries. Other types of water will not work well.
Other things that you can do in order to lengthen your battery life are the following:
- If you know that the weather is going to get cold soon, you are required to charge your batteries before you would store it. It can be hard to use your motorcycle especially when there is snow so it is expected that you would not use your motorcycle for a certain period of time. Make sure that it has enough charge (about 90% or higher) before you store it.
- The right battery charger can make a huge difference with how long your battery will last. Some motorcycles may come with recommended chargers that you can use to charge but if you do not know what charger to use, you can research first before purchasing.
- It is also recommended that if the weather is going to be extremely hot, you may want to store your motorcycle in a cool, dry place inside your home. You need to look for the right area wherein you can leave your motorcycle for a certain time being. This way, you will protect the batteries from evaporating and going bad.
The temperature that you are going to expose your motorcycle’s batteries in will make a huge difference on how long your batteries will last. Remember this fact as well as the other details that are mentioned above and you can have motorcycle batteries that will last longer than most.